Fishing for Grouper in Clearwater
There are a few different species of grouper available to catch when fishing in Clearwater, Florida. The gag grouper, red grouper, and scamp grouper are some of the most common catches. Goliath grouper are the largest, sometimes weighing up 400 pounds, and although they are extremely abundant due to a recent spike in population, they are a federally protected species. This means, harvesting them is illegal, and if you hook one pulling them out of the water is not advised. The most sought after of the species is Gag Grouper, which is considered the best.
Grouper Fishing Seasons
Grouper can be fished year-round, with certain seasons open for catching specific species. Gag grouper fishing season is open June 1-December 31, which gives anyone looking to plan a fishing trip plenty of time to make seasonally appropriate arrangements. More information on open fishing seasons for grouper can be found online at the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission website.
10 Different Ways to Eat Grouper
Since grouper is one of the most sought-after fresh fish to cook in Clearwater, it should be no surprise that you can go to almost any local restaurant and find it on the menu. We have done a little bit of digging, and a lotta bit of eating to compile a diverse list of different ways to enjoy a grouper meal in Clearwater. See below for a list of 10 places to try a new take on the local’s favorite fish.
- Frenchy’s Rockaway Grill – Classic Grouper Sandwich
- Palm Pavilion Beachside Grill & Bar – Grouper Tacos
- Shor – Black Grouper
- Cooter’s – Grouper Cheeks
- Salty’s Island Bar & Grille – Macadamia Nut Crusted Grouper
- Marina Cantina – Grouper Quesadilla
- Crabby’s Dockside – Grouper Florentine
- Columbia Restaurant – Baked Stuffed Grouper
- Rumba – Grouper Island Rice Bowl
- Jimmy Guana’s Waterfront Restaurant – “Fish Fry Friday’s” All You Can Eat Grouper